An unmapped flicker book searching for place..
CD VERSION AVAILABLE VIA: placement.bandcamp.com/album/pieces-from-a-life-limited-edition
The music for this album accrued slowly at the invitation of others, but unlike it's predecessor (2011's Collected Locations), this collected work was steered at every step, in a deliberate effort to evolve the Placement sound - our Landscape Music of previous releases, now modified to map the topography of memory.
Stills and snapshots sketched and rearranged. Fragments bumping together and tumbling in new orders. A partially controlled 'jumble music' operating somewhere between composed and assembled - the components; dusty slides, a taste that sparks a memory, Third Eye Foundation, "we used to have a car like that", George Gershwin, the comfort of radio, Harmonia and Eno, love letters in a tin, Machinefabriek, boxed toys, Cocteau Twins, bereavement's sting eroding, Dave Brubeck. Let's go down to the river - where the sound of the lapping waves will paint the sun as it used to be..
1. Retail Spiritual
2. Faint Wings And Beach Hut Lights
3. Pieces From A Life
4. Looking At The Fish In The Pond Of The Painted House
5. But It Is A Melancholy Of Mine Own
6. Snaps Of Now And Then
7. Pictures Of Lakes And Buildings
8. Cloud Funk
9. Sketches For Automated Trains
10. Pieces From A Faint Wing And A Beach Hut Light
Thank you for your interest in this release!
released April 16, 2013
Assembled in The Little Studio England between 2011 & 2013.
Design and pholography by Giles Jacobs for LGY.
All recordings made by Giles Jacobs except;
(1) Contains the London Sound Survey recording 'Elephant and Castle preacher.wav' by Ian Rawes www.soundsurvey.org.uk
(2) & (3) Contain fragments of heavily processed Soviet era vinyl.
(4) & (6) Feature speed altered sections of unidentified radio snippets gathered from car radios.
(5) Contains two samples from the 'In Cahoots' song 'Maps' and the freesound.org
sample 'tuning-orquestra.wav' by 'xserra', plus a reading of act 4 scene 1 of 'As You Like It' by William Shakespeare.
(8) Contains two freesound.org
recordings that subsequently could not be traced; One featuring aircraft radio traffic and the other the progress of a distant jet.
(10) Remixed with considerable aplomb by Squinancywort!
LGY 022 DL