An unmapped flicker book searching for place..
The music for this album accrued slowly at the invitation of others, but unlike it's predecessor (2011's Collected Locations), this collected work was steered at every step, in a deliberate effort to evolve the Placement sound - our Landscape Music of previous releases, now modified to map the topography of memory.
Stills and snapshots sketched and rearranged. Fragments bumping together and tumbling in new orders. A partially controlled 'jumble music' operating somewhere between composed and assembled - the components; dusty slides, a taste that sparks a memory, Third Eye Foundation, "we used to have a car like that", George Gershwin, the comfort of radio, Harmonia and Eno, love letters in a tin, Machinefabriek, boxed toys, Cocteau Twins, bereavement's sting eroding, Dave Brubeck. Let's go down to the river - where the sound of the lapping waves will paint the sun as it used to be..
1. Retail Spiritual
2. Faint Wings And Beach Hut Lights
3. Pieces From A Life
4. Looking At The Fish In The Pond Of The Painted House
5. But It Is A Melancholy Of Mine Own
6. Snaps Of Now And Then
7. Pictures Of Lakes And Buildings
8. Cloud Funk
9. Sketches For Automated Trains
10. The Keys To A Clockwork Universe
Extra track (download only)
11. Pieces From A Faint Wing And A Beach Hut Light
(Free Squinancywort remix)
Thank you for your interest in this release!
released March 28, 2013
Assembled in The Little Studio England between 2011 & 2013.
Design and pholography by Giles Jacobs for LGY.
All recordings made by Giles Jacobs except;
(1) Contains the London Sound Survey recording 'Elephant and Castle preacher.wav' by Ian Rawes www.soundsurvey.org.uk
(2) & (3) Contain fragments of heavily processed Soviet era vinyl.
(4) & (6) Feature speed altered sections of unidentified radio snippets gathered from car radios.
(5) Contains two samples from the 'In Cahoots' song 'Maps' and the freesound.org
sample 'tuning-orquestra.wav' by 'xserra', plus a reading of act 4 scene 1 of 'As You Like It' by William Shakespeare.
(8) Contains two freesound.org
recordings that subsequently could not be traced; One featuring aircraft radio traffic and the other the progress of a distant jet.
(10) Contains the Freesound samples 'boowee.wav', wind-up toy.wav' and 'wetrubber.wav' by 'UncleSigmund'.
(11) Remixed with considerable aplomb by Squinancywort!
LGY 022 CD